Saturday, May 18, 2024

Chasing Me To My Grave

Antiques Roadshow is one of my favorites to watch. I recently saw a program based in Louisiana where a guest had brought in a Winfred Rembert painting done on leather. The appraiser talked about the artist and how he had survived a lynching then learned the leather painting when he was in prison. All of his artwork are based on stories from his life. It wasn't until he was in his fifties he began selling his art which depicted the beauty and ugliness of the South. The appraiser mentioned a memoir of his life; it so intrigued me that I went right to Amazon and ordered it.

Took me two days to read  through "Chasing Me To My Grave: An Artist's Memoir of the Jim Crow South" and it was a sad, shocking, hopeful, and inspiring story. It actually won the Pulitzer Prize. There's a documentary about his life that's on my watch list to view soon.

If I remember correctly, the appraised value of the guest's painting was about $50,000. 

Enlightening book that makes you think about the human race and the surprising depths a white person can sink in his treatment of another human being.



Winfred (now deceased) holding one of his leather paintings







No comments:

Post a Comment