Thursday, January 12, 2023

Old Denim to Wearable Art

On to a new craft - painted and embellished jean jackets!

Was browsing Pinterest and stumbled across some killer creative jackets. I have a few jean jackets but rarely wear them because it seems I'm channeling Brittany Spears from the 90's!


Dug out a jean jacket after saving tons of pictures for inspiration. Browsed through my closet looking for velvet, sequin, and satin clothing that was no longer being worn. Had recently picked up some fake leather fabric at Goodwill so grabbed it. Then my meditation began in order to create my denim vision.

In the beginning

Cut and draped fabric on the front, rearranging pieces until they sat just so. Off to the sewing machine! Sewed straps of cloth directly to the jacket. Things were going great until BAM! The needle broke. Had to search to first find my sewing basket then dig deep into its depths to find a replacement needle, all the while telling myself the basket seriously needs some organizing. Finally, lo and behold, uncovered a package with two needles!  Saved myself from having to pause my creative rant to run to the fabric store for necessary supplies!

Playing with fabric

Happy with layout

Replaced the needle then finished sewing the front. Waited until the next day to paint the back with a moon theme, including gold leaf and glitter.

Sewing done

Almost there

Back is finished!

All in all, I'm pretty happy with my piece of jacket art. Have already dug out a few more denim shirts and coats to continue this new obsession. May even sell them on Etsy; during my browsing the majority were being sold between $300 and $500!


No comments:

Post a Comment