Monday, September 6, 2021

Beware Rip-Off Registers

Normally I'm a Walmart shopper.  However, Safeway is just down the street so now and then I pop over there. Plus, although their prices are high, they always have a bread markdown section.  I recently signed up on their app where you can clip coupon deals that automatically register when you input your phone number at checkout. Or so I thought.


Stopped in there yesterday for a few items. One of the steals via the app was $5 ice cream for 77cents. Can't beat that! Also grabbed a loaf of bread with a corresponding coupon saving 50cents.


Here's the deal - always check the register when you are paying.  More often than not the sale price will not pull up so you end up paying and finding out later you didn't save money.  I frequently play a game with myself to add up the items in my cart to see how close I get at checkout. Did this yesterday and my ballpark total was going to be about $9.77.


The checker scanned the items and my grand total was over $18. I think not!  Questioned him on my 77cent ice cream and there you go - my app coupon didn't register. I had to show him my app list to prove I had the coupon. Pissed me off.  Ending balance was $10.27.


Leaving the store I reviewed my receipt and had not received the coupon savings on the bread. Doesn't that figure! Just let it go as I didn't want to go through the rigamaroll to obtain a refund.


This has frequently happened at other stores where sale or clearance prices do not come up.  I always keep my eye on the register to verify what I'm buying matches up with the noted prices.


There's your tip for today.  And happy Labor Day which I'm spending cleaning and perhaps fishing!



No comments:

Post a Comment