Friday, December 6, 2013

Better Safe than Sorry

It's Friday and I woke up to .....SNOW!!!  Thinking optimistically, I proceeded with my normal work day routine.  My attire for today included tights, knee-high boots, sweater, and a new scarf I recently sewed with clearance Halloween material.  Easing out of the driveway, I cruised on to I-5 Northbound to make my way to work. 

The freeway didn't seem bad but snow flurries were coming down strong.  Then, only about 5 miles into my drive, traffic came to a halt.  Keeping in the slow lane and peering ahead, the traffic jam could be seen stretched up ahead for several more miles.  More than one police car passed me by on the shoulder; easing up to the bottleneck, it was clearly an extensive wreck which caused the backlog.   There were two to three vehicles involved, including a semi truck and vintage RV that was obliterated....and I mean obliterated....on the road.  At that point my mind was made up to turn around, go home and take a vacation day. 

Taking the first Castle Rock exit, my car slid around as I tried to cross the street to the Portland return route. On the underpass was a police car and several other trucks sitting, investigating a work truck that had tumbled off the freeway and sat, upside down, on the grass next to the on-ramp.  Scary!!!  Driving about 5 miles per hour, my car crept on to the freeway Southbound, making my way back home. The snow began getting heavier and heavier; I breathed a sigh of relief when my car entered my garage.  Whew! 

Here's to everyone having a safe Friday with our first day of snow!!! 



No comments:

Post a Comment