Wednesday, September 2, 2020

That Darn Dog!

Typically when I go to the river to swim or enjoy the sun, Stubbs stays at home.  Besides my concern of him overheating, I wasn't sure how he would behave when I was in the water.  Decided to give the little pup a chance and took him with me to Willow Grove today after work. Boy was that a mistake!

We arrived and made our way to the beach just like any other time.  He followed right along behind me.  I found a sandy spot, laid out the blanket and towel, and turned to pick up Stubbs.  Hmm... he wasn't there.

I called him. I whistled.  I began searching up and down the river shore. Could not find him anywhere.  He had simply disappeared! Anxiety began to set in as I imagined he had been scooped up by a hawk or eagle and was at that moment being eaten.

A neighboring beachgoer volunteered to watch my blanket so I could drive around the park to find my missing dog. Thankfully, as I made my way to the rig, in front of me were two teenage boys coming toward me with my precious, scruffy, eight pound pile of fur in their arms!  Stubbs!!


The boys said they found him walking along the path. They called my phone but of course I had left it while searching.  I almost burst into tears when my runaway was returned to me.  Covid be damned, I gave each boy a hug for returning to me my beloved partner in crime.

After that traumatic episode, waded in the river with Stubbs in my arms, gently holding him to paddle in the water.  Back to our blanket and put him on a leash to prevent any more shenanigans.  Didn't stay much longer as his escape put a damper on my mood.

Came home, had dinner, and now I'm relaxing with a clay mask upon my face while watching the 1935 David Copperfield movie with Freddy Bartholomew.


No comments:

Post a Comment