Friday, March 8, 2013

Of Dentists and Discussions

The details are often within the words you wished you had said rather than the actual conversation that occurred.  Yesterday my goal was to impress three business professionals during a panel presentation.  Wrapping up the meeting, my feeling was the discussion went successfully.  My next stop following the meeting was an appointment with Mr. Dentist to repair a cracked filling as well as to fix a tiny new cavity.  During that hour long appointment, when my bottom jaw, lip and tongue were numbed to oblivion, I replayed the business presentation in my head.  This would have been wittier; my response should have been more technical; that one comment may have been taken too literally; and on and on.  The experience replayed over and over in my head while the dentist ground and filled my teeth. 

Finally,  after significant analytical examination, I had to banish the event from my thoughts similar to the way my cracked filling was picked apart and broken, bits and pieces vacuumed and discarded by the large, sucking tube which remains a dental hygienist's favorite piece of arsenal. The discussion drifted away from my mind in the next few hours, along with the Novocaine dissipating from my mouth.  As I had to trust my lifelong dentist, who is the utmost experienced, professional, completed my fillings with success, I had to trust my presentation went off with flying colors due to my confident, professional nature.  I'm sure my dentist didn't lose sleep mulling over his performance in my mouth and thankfully, my rest last night was equally as satisfying.

No comments:

Post a Comment