Sunday, January 12, 2014

To Take Nothing for Granted

There comes a time when you meet someone, you spend time getting to know them, and you begin to discover you have a magical connection.  You enjoy listening to their stories and sharing your own, you trade sarcastic and humorous insider jokes with one another, and you begin creating your own memories with dinners, trips, and events.  Then comes a time when they hold you up when you are down, provide a shoulder upon which you can cry, and not only give you pep talks but build up your confidence so you can handle the good, the bad, and the ugly in your life.  In between all of this they whisper uplifting compliments and disperse heartfelt romantic gesture simply to make you happy, because that is their driving force in life.  They keep you safe, they are your protector, and you share a love together you never thought you would find in this lifetime.  Of course, for all of this and more I speak of my Michael.

This last week has been a hard one.  My Michael spent almost a week in the hospital, dealing with some unexpected health issues along with receiving surgery in order that his dialysis can begin.  He received a kidney transplant over ten years ago and now that little bugger is failing.  So dialysis three times a week is the answer, at least for another six months when he can be once again listed for a new transplant.  Thankfully, each day in the hospital Michael called me to fill me in on his progress along with the daily entertainment of hospital life.  Family visitors.  Oddball roommates.  Disappearing nurses.  Failure of food delivery.  All in all, Michael weathered it well.

Yesterday I cruised to Good Sam to pick up my man.  He was up and almost ready to go.  Getting discharged, I picked him up at the door and we departed the hospital. Michael requested we make one stop before returning home - at Mall 205.  I waited in the car while he ran his errand inside the mall.  Out he came holding a jewelry bag....for me.   After undergoing surgery and having his health upside down for a week, the only thought that was in his mind was an early birthday gift he had waiting for me.

And it was a beautiful gift....a blue topaz and diamond ring for my left hand.  Not as an engagement ring, not as a promise ring, but a ring to cement our love and commitment to each other.  It's a tangible piece of beauty that I can view, look at, and touch which will remind me of my Michael when we are apart.

Thank you my Michael for my early birthday gift.  And for giving me a lifetime of wonderful memories over the last two years - I can't wait to build many more with you!


No comments:

Post a Comment