Friday, February 7, 2014

TGIF and Bring On the Snow!!

Well, the snow has arrived!  Yesterday at work it was cold but nice and clear with no snow.  It wasn't until I was driving home after 5pm that I entered treacherous territory.  Traveling south, I exited Chehalis and began to see snow swirling on the freeway.  My car began to slip some so I slowed down....way down..., stayed in the middle lane, and followed the tracks in front of me laid by a big rig.  Even while the snow became thicker and more compact on the road, cars were zipping past me, oblivious to the icy road danger that lay in wait. At one point, several cars had taken an exit and for a time I was the only one on the freeway traveling south...dark, no clear lane marks, and alone.  Thankfully God was on my side as he guided me home.  I passed several cars and trucks on the side of road - left by themselves crunched into ditches or surrounded by police, taking statements and extracting drivers from their now totalled cars.  At one point I passed an SUV that had been traveling north but lay upside down the median hill onto the south bound side. No cops had arrived but a fellow car had stopped to help.  I continued on my way, going 25-30 mph in the slow lane. I was so hopeful when I passed Castle Rock, which meant my journey was almost over.  A wave of relief swept over me when I opened my garage and crept inside.

Unfortunately, my Sam had a bumper crunch during his travels in the snow.  Rounding a corner, he slid into a curb (as opposed to cars), beat up his hub cap and damaged his wheel.  Thankfully, he was okay; later last night, his buddy and his father were able to help him out by driving his car home and it's now parked in the garage.  We'll deal with the wheel situation later but for now the car is parked until the snow melts.

No work today because common sense told me to not tackle the icy, snow-packed commute.  Which means...housework!  Ugh!  Perhaps I'll pull on my boots, dress Stubbs in one of his doggie sweaters, and go for a walk in the snow to avoid cleaning.  However you spend your Friday, in the snow or out, I hope you have a good one!!!

View from my window this morning


No comments:

Post a Comment