Sunday, March 1, 2020

Getting the Clean Bill of Health

Last week was a series of catch up for all my doctor appointments.

Tuesday had the regular pap smear exam. To make it even more exciting, my doctor was going to remove a skin tag that was by my nether -regions. Yep, the cherry on top was receiving the numbing shot perilously close to my va jay jay.  Good news is the skin tag is gone, my pap was clean, and I tested negative for HPV, which has now become a standard test performed. Next exam will be in five years - yippee!


Thursday to the dentist for a cleaning. Last September went in for a cleaning which I was sorely late. Was numbed up for a filling so that came in handy when they brought out the water works to hardcore clean my teeth.

My insurance pays for cleanings every three months so set up a return visit. During the previous 90 days I flossed and paid close attention to the teeth that needed some serious TLC. Happy to say almost all of my scores improved! My chart notes were all green for improvement. 😁

Friday capped off my medical week when I visited the sleep center to assess my snoring. Steve thinks I stop breathing when I'm sleeping so it was time to find out. After checking in o was led to a consultation room which had a big bed right on the middle of the room. Not a medical bed but a cozy queen size model. I felt like a hooker being prepped for my first customer!

The older doctor was knowledgeable and asked lots of questions. After examining my mouth and throat he said it appears my palate and windpipe are on the small side so this may be what's causing me to snore.  He had to hold my tongue down with the thin wooden depressor in order to see my uvula. He also placed a device over my heart, which was hooked up to an app, so he could see if my heart was beating normally (it was.) He then explained a variety of treatments - mouth guard, C-Pap, surgery to extend jaw, and even gastric bypass which would be covered by insurance. First step is to see how bad the problem is so they scheduled me for a sleep study on April 3.  You get hooked up to lots of monitors and stay the night at the hospital so they can examine your sleeping habits. Looking forward to the experience!!





No comments:

Post a Comment