Thursday, October 31, 2019

Happy Halloween 2019


Believe it or not, Halloween has arrived!

Spent this morning recreating the mermaid look for work where they hold a costume contest every year. Last year took home first place for my Crazy Cat Lady creation and had high hopes for my lady of the sea attire in this year's contest.

Co-worker Pam was decked out in gypsy fortune-teller garb and had even decorated her cubicle in the same theme. She laid out pumpkin frosted sugar cookies to share with all. Was this because she was so generous or simply a ploy to bribe others to vote for her cubicle as best decorated? Hmmm.

At 11am those of us who dressed for fun gathered for a picture. Then at noon we all enjoyed a company-paid lunch. Typically I take my lunch starting at 1pm or 2pm so taking it at noon really made me daydream of naptime!


First world problem encountered today was the bathroom. You see, never had to take a bathroom break the last two times I sported the mermaid get up. Do I pull the top down or pull the skirt up? Well, flipped the coin and pulled it up. Relieved myself then began the slow, agonizing process of pulling it back over my hips.  You'd think gravity would be in my favor but alas it was not. Spent 15 minutes tugging, pulling, grunting, and sweating trying to get that damn tail back into place without busting a seam! At one point panic set in so went in reverse to see if it would glide over my chest. Yeah, that didn't happen and only resulted in my wig falling off and bruising my boobs!

Finally achieved success and hauled myself out of the stall.  Took a vow to not make that mistake again, which resulted in ignoring my urge to go around 2:30pm and holding it until I arrived home about 4:30pm. You've never seen a mermaid move as fast as I did when I made it to the house and raced for the bathroom!

Enough bathroom talk and back to the costume contest. The votes were tallied and winners were announced at 3pm.  And score!  This diva received grand prize of first in the costume contest and was awarded a $25 Amazon card! Whoop whoop! Tinker Bell placed second and gypsy Pam won first in the cubicle decorating race.  The pressure will be on next year in order to keep my winning streak alive!

Tonight Marie sneakily wrangled me into carving her pumpkin. She said "Can you clean it for me and I'll carve it when I'm done working in the yard?" Ok sure why not. Pumpkin gutted then she springs on me "Gee I'm not creative and don't really know how to carve a pumpkin." Slick move. So I wound up carving the sucker, which, to be honest, was pretty enjoyable.

Marie is a diehard Halloween fan, so much so she decorated the outside and the inside of the house.  Lots of bulbs set up on auto timers, tinsel spiders hanging from the ceiling, and a bevy of orange and purple lights casting a festive glow.


This is the first time in over 20 years I'm experiencing Halloween in a different environment than the 500+ trick or treaters where I previously lived.  We are just relaxing, bowl of candy at the ready, with barely a knock at the door. It's been two hours and less than 10 kids have stopped by.  It's like a parallel universe compared to being camped out on the front porch for five hours as a steady stream of people in a variety of costumes hustled up to grab a goodie.

Hoping everyone had a memorable Halloween!







No comments:

Post a Comment