Saturday, June 27, 2020

Surviving Kayak Adventures and Losing a Cell Limb

Friday started out as a great day!  During the summer we have half-day Friday's so off work at noon then Sam and his friend Jacob picked me up for lunch around 12:30 pm. We ended up at Porky's Public House to break bread then after a quick stop by Walmart they dropped me off at home.


While I was gone, Marie loaded up the kayaks (one inflatable and one a hard shell, both borrowed from neighbors) and all the supplies to my rig so when I arrived home just needed to change my clothes and head out.  For some reason can't find any of my swimsuits so either hid them or gave them away.  Ended up pulling on a pair of black high waist underwear with a tank top and shorts and called it good.  After stopping at the Chevron for a couple of canned fruity beverages, we made our way to the Kalama River.

Many years ago second husband and I would go boat fishing on the same spot we planned to set sail on the kayaks. One evening we were fishing at twilight close to the mouth of the Columbia.  Lights twinkled from the houses nearby and in the moonlight there was salmon upon salmon jumping and slapping the current as we trolled in the boat.  Makes for a picturesque mental memory.

Back to Friday.  We unloaded the kayaks, added air to the inflatable one, then packed in our items.  I had previously used the inflatable kayak but was going to try out the hard shell kayak this trip. We each had an floatable bag into which I placed my wallet and car keys.  My cell phone I placed into a waterproof pouch that was made to hang over my neck, although I set it in the kayak and planned to place the cord around my neck after embarking.  Threw my can of Long Island Ice Tea and jug of water into the kayak, shed my shorts, and climbed in ready to set sail.

Marie was just getting into her kayak as I paddled out into the river.  Started to scoot around some to adjust my seat cushion when the kayak curled over and dumped me right into the river.  Wow, was that cold!  Thankfully, was wearing a life jacket (safety first even though I'm an excellent swimmer) so grabbed the kayak and the oar and swam my way back to the dock.

Time to assess the situation!  Floating bag with wallet and keys - check!  Water bottle - check!  Shorts - check!  Long Island Ice Tea - nope, gone to the bottom of the river.  Cell Phone?  Cell Phone?  Looks like we have a runner!!!  Yep, found out the phone pouch was waterproof but not floatable.  Gone to the bottom of the river.  If you know me, you know my cell phone is like another limb and my lifeline to contacts, movies, trivia, job sites, log-in codes, Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, pictures, and this blog.  Standing there drenched in wet underwear and t-shirt, my poor heart sighed as I mourned the drowning death of my cell phone with so many phone numbers, camera, passwords, pictures, and notes gone, gone, gone. 


Being the optimist that I am, took that as a sign that maybe my phone has become just too darn important to me and I need to enjoy my adventures, such as this kayak trip, during the moment rather than through a camera lenses.  Switched back to the inflatable kayak as the hard shell one was cursed, loaded up, and set out on the Kalama River for our excursion on the hot, sunny day.  Stopped at one point early on our ride to share Marie's can of spiked lemonade as a toast to me surviving my kayak dunking.

Paddled East to the Kalama Campground area then retreated and paddled West to the mouth of the Columbia.  Gorgeous scenery, calm waters, and relaxing adventure.  On our way back to the boat loading area, paddled along the banks to look for the phone bag just in case, in the smallest chance, it floated and snagged.  At one point was sitting close to shore when I felt movement beneath my butt like an animal swimming below my kayak.  Holy Cow!  Couldn't paddle fast enough to get away from that area.




Arrived back at the boat dock around 7pm, washed the kayaks, loaded them up, and were on our way home.  By the time we ate dinner then unloaded the kayaks and put away our supplies, it was close to ten. 

This weekend will be investigating how to replace my phone, which is insured.  The idea of donning goggles and diving into the Kalama to find the waterproof bag is tempting but the more feasible idea is to simply replace it.  So, if anyone has been texting me or calling me and have begun to think I'm rude as hell for not responding, therein above lies the reason.  Once my cell limb has been reattached, I'll let everyone know as all of my contact information is lost at sea.







No comments:

Post a Comment