Tuesday, January 1, 2013

OCD Cleaning Rather Than a Kiss at Midnight

New Year's Eve has come and gone it was apparent that 2012 went out kicking and screaming!  After showering and beginning to pack for Michael's, the window caught my eye and I saw....snow!  Yes, big flakes billowing down and covering everything.  Unfortunately, this would hinder my ability to have a New Year's kiss at midnight with my sweetie because slick, snowy roads and my econo car simply do not mix.  With the boys gone, this meant a solo holiday for the Diva.

Instead of focusing on what would be missed, I instead focused my energy on cleaning and organizing.  Down came all of the holiday decor, including the tree.  The bedroom was next where a mountainous pile of clean clothes were put away (yes, this is a continuing story so my 2013 resolution is to keep on top of this tedious chore.)

While keeping an eye on the Food Network, carmel corn, courtesy of stepmom Arlene, was my next activity.  Popping, boiling, mixing, heating in the oven, and stirring at 15-minute intervals for an hour kept me occupied. 

Carmel corn completed to perfection, my attention was then turned toward....kitchen drawers.  Several of my kitchen drawers were filled to capacity and this problem could no longer be ignored!  I organized six drawers and three cupboards, throwing out odds and ends which had no obvious purpose then switching storage around to make more sense.  Key findings....one CAN have too many store plastic bags, attachments from 2-3 mixers which are no longer in your possession make no sense, and spices you haven't used for over six years simply will not enhance a recipe.

After making dinner (seafood fettuccine Alfredo in honor of New Year's Eve), a batch of no-bake cookies (dubbed Horton's by my big brother Jay) were then whipped up in case a late evening sweet tooth arose.  My time was also spent keeping an eye on the gigantic bruise forming on my hand courtsey of the lab test performed that morning.

Throughout the day, my Michael and I texted and spoke on the phone frequently.  It was almost like being together...okay, not really but we were still able to enjoy each other's company while my cleaning obsession continued.  Unfortunately, my eyes simply would not stay open so his call to me at midnight was missed.  But he was in my dreams.....along with thoughts of the next cupboard to be organized!!

No comments:

Post a Comment