Tuesday, December 26, 2017

Film Fest

Being down with a cold has given me plenty of time to catch up on movies, as follows:

Little Women

Having watched the Katherine Hepburn one, the June Allyson/Elizabeth Taylor one, and the Winona Ryder one, my vote for biggest tearjerker goes to the June Allyson version which has little Margaret O'Brien as Beth passing away.  All are good in their own Way but I now need a rest from hearing the line "Rodrigo, Rodrigo, save me" in all three movies.





Drew Barrymore

I watched Never Been Kissed and Ever After. Good solid B movies but I love Drew in just about anything.

Blackface

On the heels of Princess Michael of Kent wearing Blackamoor jewelry to meet Meghan Markle, I ended up watching a few movies that had blackface. The first was the Al Jolson story, where obviously that played a big role based upon Jolson's vaudeville style. I then watched a couple of Garland and Rooney movies, Babes on Arms and Babes on Broadway where both had them singing and dancing in blackface. Seemed to be the acceptable mode of entertainment back in the 30's. Shocking to see now especially when Princess Michael doesn't even have a clue.



Terms of Endearment 

Nothing like subjecting myself to the queen of all sobfests than this Shirley MacClaine/Debra Winger ten hankie drama. Such a great movie but it sure gets you in the end. Just finished watching it and I think I've finally depleted myself of tears.




No comments:

Post a Comment