Sunday, July 15, 2018

Humid Heat and Happenings!

This weekend was a hot one! Literally!! In the 90's so it reminded me how blessed I am to have the utmost, truly spectacular, and downright life saving air conditioning in my home !!

Thursday I came home and had a burst of energy! I made some pasta salad, cleaned the kitchen, did a load of laundry, and even trimmed and bathed the dog.  Well that evening a wave of cramps and nausea hit me head on. Spent some time in the bathroom hoping to not have it come out of both ends. Have you ever gone to the bathroom so violently that it made you temporarily deaf? Me neither but that's what happened. But happily no barfing came to visit. Once finished with the commode I made my way right to bed and felt much better Friday morning. I'll remember this the next time I try to tackle too many tasks on my to do list.


Friday after work I met friend Susan for lunch. I got to hear all about her recent trip to New Orleans - Bourbon Street, beignets , and cemeteries. Always good catching up with her.

After lunch I ran home, changed my clothes, and drove up with friend Marie to the South Lewis County Park in Toledo. It was a picturesque lake with fishing docks and a place to swim as well. And it was really hot. We fished for a while off the bank then moved over to one of the docks. There was hardly anybody there and no one was even swimming. We spent about three hours trying our luck but not one bite. Marie did gather up some clams to take home for her tank. Heat was so high you could have called me done, stuck a fork in my sunburned shoulders, and heard me squeal like Ned Beatty in Deliverance. 🐷


Saturday morning I was up bright and early to meet co-worker Pam in La Center. We were meeting up to tackle the La Center City garage sale. We met at 8 a.m. and went through a ton of garage sales before finishing around noon.

One of the best sales was a church which had shoes and clothes for a dollar a bag.  Pam and I shared a big kitchen garbage bag and stuffed it's plastic to the rafters.  Hmm is this my color? Will this fit? Would one of the kids like this? Who cares - throw it in the bag! Fifty cents a piece and we made out like bandits. 

I also picked up a a chicken wire table type item for three bucks. Wasn't sure what I was going to do with it but knew I just had to do something. Found along the way a cute sailboat lamp, a folding camp chair in great condition for $1, and an absolutely fabulous wok - for free!

There were so many garage sales and it was getting warmer and warmer. Pretty nice neighborhoods so some of the sales were reasonable and some way off-base. I mean, it's nearing a hundred degrees and you want to sell me  a  Christmas Village  for $1,500 ?  Or shirts for $10 ? After the dollar a bag deal we weren't falling for that kind of price wonkiness!

This Sunday morning I woke up at 5am to get ready to go fishing on the river.  It was already getting warm when we got there;  we stayed about three hours with no bites. Decided to give up and pack it in. Fishing is kind of like selling - with every no you're bound to get a yes sooner or later.

After fishing I stopped off at Walmart to get a spark plug for the lawn mower. For some strange reason I thought today would be a good day to mow the yard in close to a hundred degree weather. Good thing I came to my senses and took a short nap when I got home. 

Waking up I decided hit Michaels and Home Depot to meditate on what I wanted to do with the chicken wire table. Almost bought a metal platter to attach as the top for the table; however it wasn't on sale so I made my way to Home Depot.

Felt like I spent an hour in store browsing through the aisles. Did I want a wood top? Did I want tile? Did I want metal? If tile what color? The ruminating over the choice of top was agonizing.

I finally picked up some connected glass tiles in shades of  mocha, seafoam green, and light teal. Table was already washed and dried in the sun. I painted the very top sides of the tabletop, applied grout and pressed the tiles into place after trimming them. It's actually coming together well and ties in to the beach theme of my house. Yesterday I painted the sailboat lamp I picked up and it's all going to work together perfectly.

And now tomorrow is Monday and it will be time to .....sleep in! Yep I already have vacation to burn so I took tomorrow off just cuz. 

Let's have a great week!!


No comments:

Post a Comment