Saturday, April 11, 2020

Imperfect Perfectionism

Thursday was one of those days when I should have called in sick!

Was backing up a co-worker who was on vacation. The producer on the account asked me to put together a whole bunch of data for the client in preparation for binding. Grabbed all the information, prepared the forms, and sent to the producer.  Unfortunately, one of the forms had errors so he sent it back to fix.  Sent it back then he had more changes. Sent it back and he called me to discuss two more items. It was becoming a comedy of errors all the back and forth. Finally breathed a sigh of relief when it was all finished.

However, it put me in a really irritable mood. I felt embarrassed I had made so many mistakes that needed to be fixed. Yep, my perfectionism and ego were raising their ugly heads.  Instead of focusing on the 90% of the project that was perfect, I mentally berated myself for the 10% that needed correction.

This episode made me think of the other ways perfectionism interferes with my mental well-being.  For example, if someone says I didn't email an item or follow up, I spend time searching for the email to prove, at least to myself, it had been sent aka I was right. Why waste my effort on this? What deep-seeded need drives me to prove my perfection?  I'm the first one to admit I'm not perfect so why let these events drive me crazy?

Of course this situation drove me to Pinterest in search of data or words of wisdom.  Found the following which hit home along with affirmations to help my mental state of mind.




No comments:

Post a Comment