Monday, July 20, 2020

Of Sand and Shores and Sons

It appears that summer has finally arrived!  It's been pretty hot this weekend and I have no complaints, although I do miss the A/C from my house. At least I have a fan in my room pointed directly toward my bed to assist in helping me sleep on these sweaty nights.

Friday after work painted a pic then took a nap. Later dyed the gray from my hair and removed my finger and toe nail polish with the intent to complete a mani/pedi. It's now Monday night and that hasn't yet happened.

Saturday awoke to beautiful blue sky so made plans to visit the swimming hole on Beaver Creek.  Picked up Subway sandwich to split, a couple of Hard Mike's beverage, then ran into Goodwill to find a cheap backpack.  So much easier to pack my essentials in a backpack, which frees up both my hands while I'm negotiating the slippery paths and transversing swift creeks.  Found a perfect pink one and also grabbed a "Marie"-labeled backpack for half-price.  Score!


We made our way to Clatskanie, parked, and began to search for a path to the swimming hole. The only avenues involved (1) climbing down a steep path with help of a ratty rope tied to a guardrail or (2) jumping into the pool from the top of the waterfall. Neither idea was prudent so we plopped our towels next to the creek above the falls.



We cracked open our beverage and enjoyed the hot sun.  Although we were sporting Deet bracelets,  the flies, ants, and assorted bugs were eating us alive so we exited stage left to our new found beach in Kalama.

After parking, we found we had the beach almost all to ourselves with the exception of a couple way far north of us.  Unloaded our backpacks then waded into the water, which felt great.  As we were cooling off an elderly man, sipping his Budweiser, strolling along with his two dogs, arrived on the beach.  Beach empty and he had to pick a shady spot close to us to designate as his place in the sun.



Made our way back to our spot, had chit chat with the old guy, and met his dogs, Lucy and Lulu. Just a lonely retired logger from Rose Valley. Soon enough he was on his way and we went back into the river water.

Tide was going out so we were able to wade to a large sandbar and take a stroll. Several windsurfers were out and about; at one point I interrupted my treasure hunting to look up and was surprised to see one close to the sandbar. He even waved, said hi, and boogied on sailing the surf. Was a long day out in the sun. 



Sunday brought relaxation and painting. Monday arrived too soon. Started two paintings on my lunch break then after work Sam stopped by. Surprised him with the abstract Joker painting I made for him and he showed his appreciation by taking me out for a Mexican dinner. 


And once again here I am with Stubbs, relaxing in bed with the fan about two feet away directed toward us both. 

No comments:

Post a Comment