Wednesday, November 30, 2011

I'm So Over You

We hadn’t seen each other for almost three years.  Well, I’d seen you around but would try to maintain my distance for fear of those old feelings coming to the surface - feelings of longing, of comfort, of habit.  We had been together for so long; our last split up was tortuous but made me feel victorious, knowing you would never possess me again.

I was so wrong.  During my last divorce, I ran into you.  As I sat there, weak with drink in hand, you charmingly approached me and we began a casual connection.  After that first visit, I ran into you now and then, normally when I was out for cocktails. Then you decided to visit me at work, where we hung out on break with my co-workers.  You showed up at my home, hanging out on the back porch.  I really wasn’t happy with this arrangement but your smooth charm I couldn’t resist.  I even gave you rides in my car now and then simply because you were there and I thought I needed you.  You were easy.

However, your charming facade was short-lived.  You played with my discipline, toying with me as I waffled between longing for you and eliminating our time together completely.  Your visits soon morphed into raggedy, irritating stops; you didn’t care how you treated me or what you did to my well-being.  You used to be fun but you’ve become dirty, smelly, and downright putrid.

The time has come to kick you out of my life – permanently.  It’s been four days since we’ve last seen each other.  I’ve been on edge and I’ve been cranky.  But this too shall pass; in its place shall be better health and my ability to breathe easier.  You aren’t worth a place in my life and our relationship is over.  You cost me too much money; I’ll begin putting those savings toward a new pair of heels, which will be a much greater boost to my self-esteem than you ever were.

Goodbye to Mr. Nasty Habit!

1 comment: