Monday, April 10, 2017

When Pity Turns to Psychology

I’m not sure how many of you have watched Brokeback Mountain, but if you haven’t you are missing out.  I’d only seen it once and decided to watch it again on Saturday.  Such a wonderful, sad love story.  Of course I bawled my eyes out at the end.  Heath Ledger hugging Jake Gyllenhall’s jean jacket.  Torture!!! 

It got me to thinking about "The One" and having a little bit of a pity party.  I look around at my long-time friends and family and they have all found “The One.”  What’s wrong with me?  Why have I been gypped from finding the one for me?  Lord knows I’ve tried – three marriages, assorted boyfriends, and endless blind dates and for what?  Nothing.  Alone.  Just me and my dog. 

All this pity led me back to browsing the on-line dating apps as much from boredom as from curiosity.  What is out there?  Who is out there?  Could there be The One for me?

Yep, that ain’t gonna happen.  Some of those people scare me!!  Shallow, superficial, desperate, lonely – these descriptions do not fit me but certainly fit the majority of the men who tried to contact me.

The more I thought about it, the more I decided that when I least expected it I had found The One.  And I need to treat that one with kid gloves, realizing The One needed kindness, compassion, trust, a listening ear, regular compliments, honesty, and respect.

As you may have guessed, The One is me.  Just hanging out by myself is far more entertaining than being forced to have a conversation with someone simply because they are of the male species.  Or dumbing myself down to make it through a conversation about taxidermy, muscle cars, or the high brow acting career of Steven Segal. 

At some point in my life, God will bring me The One but until that time, I’m going to let Him work on me and the areas of my life that need forgiveness rather than blame.  So what if my love life hasn’t been successful?  Even though my romantic partners have not panned out, there are countless people in my life who love me unconditionally.  Why do I need The One when I have the many?

Here’s to on-going self-improvement, self-esteem, and as always maintaining my sense of humor in this crazy world! 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment