Saturday, February 18, 2012

Technical Difficulties - Please Stand By

Technical issues regarding electronic equipment drive me crazy!!  Remember the garage door fiasco?  Well my latest dip into technology...the big screen TV...has now taken the garage door's place as the thorn in my side. 

Our new television has HDTV capability; in order to view this, Comcast charges more money for an HDTV digital box (of course.)   Last week the new digital box arrived in the mail.  Being the smart cookie that I am, I turned to my closet high tech wizards to install this system - my boys.  Figuring this would be a piece of cake for them, I asked them on Wednesday to set up the digital box. This resulted in....nothing.  No cable picture coming through.  I then proceeded to troubleshoot the system...nothing.  Arrrg.  I was forced to contact Comcast last night for some troubleshooting help. 


Unfortunately, the available "technician" (this term being used loosely) was obviously from another country.  She (let's call her Suzie) referred to me as Mz. Alicia throughout the call, asked me several questions, then requested the serial number from the back of the box.  This was the biggest test of all as the print on the tiny sticker behind the dark box was impossible to read, even with my cheaters.  Suzie then proceeded to bombard me with various steps and instructions (as if reading from a manual, which I'm sure she was) in order to get the digital box to perform.  Mind you, this was Friday evening after a long week at work and my grumpy meter was beginning to kick in; poor Suzie didn't know what she was in for if she pushed Mz. Alicia too far.

Finally, I was forced to tell Suzie to just stop and schedule a technician to come in and fix the problem.  Cost was not a factor - if I had to deal with the various cables, connections, and serial numbers I was going to lose my mind!  When she questioned me as to if this is what I truly wanted, I believe she felt the wrath in my voice and quickly scheduled the appointment for Saturday morning.

This morning I woke up bright and early to greet my day.  Was this mood due to the cable guy visiting today?  Nope.....I'm going shopping with my new guy to Woodburn Outlet Mall.  As you know, shopping always puts a smile on this Diva's face.  In fact, I'm so concerned that the cable guy is going to interfere with my shopping trip that I rescheduled his visit to Monday.  What's another few days without HDTV?  Perhaps I can talk the cable guy into taking a look at my garage door!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment