Friday, September 30, 2011

Dealing with Spoilage on My Shoulders!

Do the sins of the exes bear fruit on the divorced spouses?  To further explain, each time one of my ex-husband's errors are made known publicly, I'm immediately contacted by friends, family, and even strangers regarding my input.  Why?  The decision to divorce was made almost 15 years ago and yet my opinion regarding his most recent failings is still sought. 

Case in point - yesterday my first husband's name was in the paper regarding a lost legal appeal.  Although these publicly made announcements give me a small chuckle, I missed it as I read the news of the day.  However, I was notified of his public shame by a close friend.  On top of that, the repo man, who has visited my home on several occasions, hoping to nab the ill-gotten truck my ex-husband possesses, stopped by my house last night.  We are actually on good terms and he has become somewhat of a weird friend, although I can't help him in his pursuit of this wayward vehicle.  He read about the ex's legal troubles so wanted to follow up again to determine, once again, if I knew where he was living.  I know nothing other than a general direction of "go east young man" in order to find this fugitive.  He's not hiding in my garage.  He hasn't taken shelter in my attic.  And I'm definitely not a part of his illegal hijinks's! 

Haven't I already served my time during this marriage?  At what point am I excused from having to answer questions about a person with whom I've not shared a bed with for over a decade?  When do his sins stop flowing over to my innocent shoulders, dusting me (as well as my children) with a layer of dishonest reputation?  And, due to severe spoilage, shouldn't there be an expiration date to this relationship? 

No comments:

Post a Comment