Sunday, September 25, 2011

Lasagna with a Side of Loss and Heartburn

Do you ever have one of those days when you are slightly off kilter?  I had one of those on Friday.  A new gentleman friend, as my mother would say, was coming over for dinner Friday night.  Thursday night I threw together a lasagna, cleaned the house, then warned the boys that our home had to stay spotless, with the exception of their rooms, which never see the light of day. 

Friday morning as I drove to work I just didn't feel right; actually ended up having diarrhea all day (yes, TMI, I know!)  Right before lunch, one of the employees stopped by to see me regarding her paycheck.  During our conversation she mentioned that, two days prior, her husband had passed away.  Now, I am usually the pillar of strength at work, the rock, the emotionally steady person of composure.  Not this time...tears were spilling over my eyes as I gave her a hug.  After she left I ended up having a good cry.....so unlike my work persona.  Alas, I realized that no matter how hard I try to be devoid of my emotions while at work. a little human sneaks in when you least expect it.

The episode seemed to put me in a funk for the rest of the day.  When I arrived home, I preheated the oven then proceeded to change my clothes.  All I felt like wearing were my sweat shorts and a tee so that's exactly how I dressed, along with my flip flops.  I tried to fix my face and hair but it just wasn't happening.  Bad hair day, lackluster skin....it was quite the Friday!  Thankfully the lasagna was a big hit for both my boys and my friend, although he ended up needing Tums!  It seems the sadness of my co-worker who lost her spouse spilled over, tainting our evening dinner with heartburn - literally.

1 comment:

  1. I love you Diva, I felt the same way after you told us about our co-workers tragedy. Can't help but be human from time to time.

    ReplyDelete