Saturday, December 3, 2011

When Head and Body Conflict

My guy moved to Florida last weekend.  We had an awesome time together and will remain in touch; however, a long-distance relationship isn't what either of us wants.  I shed a few tears on Sunday when he left but am accepting of his move and looking forward to my future.  So why am I falling apart?

It started last Saturday when my tummy was upset; my feelings of nausea lasted until Thursday.  I also began smelling really strong odors; normally I have "allergy nose" so my smeller is dulled.  However, it seemed I could smell the perfume the lady in the last house on the block had worn that morning.  Then my asthma kicked in; I was sucking on that inhaler so hard I thought my eyes would pop out!  I woke up in the middle of the night or woke up very early (4am) and stayed awake.  I left work early on Monday, stayed home on Tuesday, and returned to work on Wednesday.  Unfortunately, a raggedy cough kicked in along with a fever so I hauled my butt in to the doctor Friday morning for a diagnosis and drugs.  I just couldn't handle the wheezing then coughing which seemed to trigger an automatic urinary response from my nether region.  I wasn't sounding or smelling very pleasant!!

Dr. Wang, whom I had never met before but was on the available physician list, was awesome.  We discussed what was going on in my life along with my medical history.  He proclaimed that, although my head was on board with my guy leaving, my body wasn't dealing with it very well.  He diagnosed me with anxiety and anxiety-induced asthma; my emotions and stress were causing the stomach upset, the insomnia, the asthma, the coughing, and even the over-stimulated odor detection! 

Dr. Wang used a lot of metaphors and storytelling as he described what was going on in my body.  It was the first time a doctor had truly described in depth how a body behaves due to stress or anxiety and what the drugs he would be prescribing would do to help me battle my health condition.  I'm looking forward to my health catching up with my head so we are all in sync!  I'm also looking forward to not having to become a regular purchaser of Depends due to my cough - I'm too young to be referred to as the Urine Diva!!

No comments:

Post a Comment