Monday, April 23, 2012

Cops and Cakesters

Ever have one of those days when everything just goes wrong?  This afternoon I experienced one of those days!

Before I left work I engaged in a debate with one of my fellow co-workers.  He thought he was right, I thought I was right, and the conversation dragged into the abyss until the conversation was over.  Thankfully, my workday was over so I walked out into the sunshine and hopped into my gleaming car, ready to drive home.  I put in my Bluetooth then hit the freeway.  My Michael called and we began chatting.  It was almost time in the conversation for me to vent about my work debate when the phone went dead.  Dang!  I charged it last night so I don't know why it was dead.

I continued on my way until I was about two miles from home.  All of a sudden, a cop was behind me, flashing his lights.  Dammit!!  Of course I knew immediately it was due to my speeding, or perhaps it was due to my new chrome shining in the cop's eyes.  I pulled over on the freeway and the cop walked up and stated I was going 83 in a 70 mph zone.  Oops.  I handed him my registration and license, which he took back to his car.  While he was reading his radar gun, I frantically searched for my insurance card.  Dug through my purse, through the glove box, and through every crevice in my vehicle.  Thankfully I found my temporary card along with my in-car phone charger. When Mr. Cop came back, he didn't even ask for my proof of insurance; he simply handed me my $93 ticket, stating he lowered my speed to 75 mph.  Whew!  A small monetary break is better than none!

I buckled up and returned to the road.  I continued on to Target to pick up a few items, including my new guilty pleasure, Oreo Double Stuff Cakesters.  They are to die for....seriously!  Unfortunately, when I entered the snack aisle, the Double Stuff was gone.  The shelf was empty, as was the pit in my stomach while I ached for a taste of the cream filling.  Oh life, why are you so hard for me?

When I returned home, I entered the warm house.  The very warm house.  I had just put in a new air filter to the system on Sunday; I inspected the breaker, the heat pump, and every possible situation that may have caused the air to stop working.  Couldn't find a darn thing wrong so I gave up the fight for cool air.

I then proceeded to change my clothes, lay on my bed with my fan turned to high, and called Michael to vent.  I think he could tell I just wanted to spew out everything that happened this afternoon and, being the wonderful person he is, he listened.   I sat on my bed, overly warm, on the phone that was plugged in to charge, and saddled with a speeding ticket with no chocolate in the house to quench my blues.  However, his ability to thoughtfully listen to my ranting was an awesome antidote to my afternoon dilemmas!

My lessons for today?  Accept another's opinon, charge my phone and keep the car charger handy, obey the speed law, keep the cooling system serviced, and, above all, keep Oreo Double Stuff Cakesters in the house for emergency situations!

No comments:

Post a Comment