Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Clatskanie Adventures

Ran across a vintage sewing machine cabinet on a Facebook sales site that was a big bargain so I snagged it.  Heard back from the owner yesterday so made arrangements to pick it up last night. In Clatskanie - ugh.

Wanting help to go with me I reached out to Sam and Jordan. Nope both busy so could not assist their dear old mama. Decided to take Stubbs with me for backup.

Took off about 6pm with doggie in tow. He was overly excited - bouncing around, whining, and generally in a bit of a freak out. Car rides normally mean we are going to Willow Grove  (fun!) or the vet or Petco to be groomed (torture!)

It wasn't raining when I left my house; as we neared Clatskanie it began sprinkling. The house was fairly easy to find; coming upon it one could tell a collector aka hoarder lived there.

Under the porch overhang and open garage there were tons of vintage items and decor. Spiral railings, metal stars, an old stove - on and on.  Made my way to the door and a very pleasant lady - Karen - came out to greet me. She showed me the cabinet, it looked perfect, gave her the cash and the next step was getting it into the car.
Thankfully she had a son-in-law who could help carry and load the heavy item.

At this point it was getting pretty dark and the rain was becoming a gusher. We carried the table to the car and attempted to fit it in the trunk. My Camry has a trunk for days but was no match for the cabinet.  As we tried to remove it from the trunk it became wedged, which meant gently rocking it side to side, lifting, and fenagling to get it out. Meanwhile it's cats and dogs raining on me. Oh and did I wear a coat?  Of course not!!  The thought of a new art project sent my common sense out the window!!

Finally removing it from the trunk, we slid it fairly easily into the back seat.  Issuing my thanks and gratitude, I returned my soggy self to the car to return home, fidgety dog in my lap.

At that point it was dark and buckets of rain were coming down. Back on the road, I missed my turn and began traveling on a back road when I realized 'this doesn't look right."  At that point lightening shattered through the torrential storm followed by supersonic thunder. All I'm thinking at this point is that this appears to have all the makings of a Stephen King novel with me as the character in peril.

Turned around, found my way back to Hwy 30, and began the trek for home. Stubbs had realized he wasn't going to die so he quietly  snuggled up in my lap for the ride home. It was very dark outside, it was a high speed wiper rainstorm, and the lightening and thunder surrounded me.  This damn sewing cabinet project better be worth it in the end!!

Made it home, extricated the table from the car and brought it inside for assessment. Good bones and will look super once painted. Or it better to make up for the effort it took to obtain it!!


No comments:

Post a Comment