Sunday, November 6, 2016

Mountain Reflections

Got up early this morning, in fact too early as I woke up at 4am, went back to sleep and got up at 5 am. Thankfully I had the sense to pack last night.  Hit the road about 7 am for the airport to Dallas.

Parked at economy way back in the north forty as the lot was full, full, full. Security line was swamped but it moved surprisingly fast.

Full flight but at least I got my window seat!  Sitting next to the window on the plane  (my favorite spot as it allows me to hug the side and snooze) I eavesdropped on my seat mate'so conversation. Sitting in the middle seat was a  good-looking college student and on the aisle was an older lady from Canada. They were discussing their various travels around the world - she with her husband and he with his parents and sister. Grand Tetons, Jackson Hole, Europe, and planning a hiking trip back to Europe as a family when he graduates from college.

The conversation gave me a whisper of envy and inadequacy. Did I do enough for my sons?  Should I have given them more travel, more adventure, and more life experience?  I'm not sure. I did what I was able to do -car trips, camping, Arizona, Las Vegas, and the Grand Canyon.

It's funny reflecting on another person's life and comparing it to your own or if what you did was good enough. I have to be accepting of that fact that, since there is no changing the actions in the past, I must accept that what I did had to be enough.  And one of the best gifts of all they received from me is my unconditional love. And you know what makes me feel even better?  I know Jordan and Sam would agree with me!!

On another note, the view on the way out of Washington/Oregon was amazing!  Spectacular view of Mt. Hood, Mt. Adams and Mt. St. Helens!





No comments:

Post a Comment