Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Furnace Heat and Faux Pho

Everyone this week is gearing toward Thursday - the day of 107 degree heat.  God bless air conditioning!  Really enjoying the blue sky.  Reminds me of being a kid in the summer, sleeping overnight on the deck, and waking up to a beautiful blue sky above which held the promise of swimming, hiking, and fishing for the day.

This morning Lynn text me about the Pho I recently tried. Ended up that's all I thought about the whole day!  Came home tonight and, after cleaning the kitchen (and why does that frigging kitchen get so dirty when it's just me??), decided to make a riff on Pho which I'm calling the Faux Pho.

Baked some chicken thighs and while they were cooking diced up a good portion of the veggies from Arlene. Zucchini, beans, and jalapeño were sauted in olive oil along with mushrooms. Lots of seasoning including garlic, red pepper, lime, sesame oil, and ginger. Then added a can of chicken broth, a can of beef broth, and a can of coconut milk. Let it cook until the chicken was done.

Added shredded cabbage mix instead of noodles to the bowl, topped it with chunks of chicken and the vegetable broth then sprinkled with fresh chopped cilantro.


It was yummy!!  Little spicy and a little creamy. Really hit the spot plus there is lots of leftovers. Nothing better than fresh veggies straight from the garden. Can't wait until the tomatoes are ready!!

Ended up splurging a little today. Was simply craving DQ ice cream so picked up a quart on my way home. Popped it in the freezer and enjoyed some after the Faux Pho. Good stuff and it hit the spot. Hey it's okay to indulge now and then. (Yes, I'm justifying my momentary trek for sugar.)




No comments:

Post a Comment